Mascara may well be the single most important beauty product out there. It can take you from asleep to awake and alert in two swipes. It’s an instant beauty fix and can solve so many beauty woes. It can however also be tricky, which is why I have a few tips to share with you today.
- Don’t buy full sized. Technically you should replace your mascara every three months. It can become a breeding ground for mascara that can cause you to end up with all sorts of icky eye infections. However, full-sized tubes have enough product to last YEARS. It’s a waste of money, and potentially dangerous. Instead, I stock up on travel sized tubes. They’re often offered as gift with purchase options or fee samples. If you do happen to have to buy one, they’re usually less than $8, which makes parting with them in 90 days far less difficult.
- Don’t pump! Pumping your mascara can lead to air build up, causing the product to dry out faster. This not only makes your product expire faster, but can also contribute to flakes that can be both irritating to the eye and unpleasant to look at. Instead, remove the wand while scraping against the side of the tube if you’re wanting more product on the applicator. Or just apply a second coat.
- Apply your final coat on the outer third of your lashes. This gives your lashes a gorgeous arc shape that mimics falsies.
- Use a fan brush. If you’re like me applying mascara to your lower lashes is a pain. Make it easier by using a small fan brush to apply the formula to your lashes. Simply slather the wand against the back of your hand until you have enough product to dip the brush in and go. Just remember to work quickly since most mascaras dry in 30 or so seconds. You can even use this technique to use mascara as eyeliner – if it’s a waterproof formula it won’t go ANYWHERE!
- Use a wire comb to de-clump. If you’re using a formula that tends to clump this is the tool you need. It’s easy to use and a much better option than that safety pin you’ve been using. Try this one from Tweezerman.
- Find a go-to formula. Here are my pictured recommendations – Stowaway Extreme Lash, Stowaway Defined Lash, Lancome Hypnose Drama, Chanel Le Volume De Chanel.
Have any more tips or tricks for mascara? Leave me a comment by clicking the link at the top of this post or filling in the comment box below!